Off the Boards
– As before every Detroit Red Wings game, someone tossed an octopus on the ice during warm-ups. Predators forward Jordin Tootoo decided to pick up the fish with his bare hand to clear it from the ice. I’ll bet that left a fantastic aroma. Wouldn’t you love to be the guy next to him on the bench?
– Martin Brodeur and Sean Avery did not shake hands after the Rangers closed out their series with the Devils. Said Avery: “Everyone talks about how unclassy I am, and Fatso there just forgot to shake my hand, I guess.”
– A friend informed me that Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller has been writing a playoff blog for Maxim, complete with Q&A segments. Not your typical destination for hockey news.
– I cannot tell you how gratifying it was to watch Martin Brodeur during the Devils’ first round. From he puck handling gaffe that gift wrapped a goal for Ryan Callahan to the Sean Avery Show, the meltdown was a beautiful thing. Unless you lived through the horror that was Flyers-Devils hockey in the late 90s, you cannot understand the emotions of this day. Brodeur is dead; long live the King!
– Now someone has to beat the crap out of the Rangers.